Friday, December 12, 2008

Reflection


After my first semester taking education courses, I thought it would be beneficial to write some thoughts about what I have learned over the semester. I learned a lot of information regarding good teaching, testing, writing IEP's, parent-teacher relationships and much more. The main discovery that I had was that I truly want to be a teacher. Even with all of the stuff we have to do to graduate and get a license, I still am feeling confident that I am meant to be a teacher.

I've been doing a lot of thinking about my major lately: Music Major, Education Minor, Special Ed. Endorsement. I think that music and education should really both be majors. I believe that Education comes first. Meaning that I want to be a teacher who uses music as a tool for teaching students life-lessons, math, history, etc. Of course I want my students to be good musicians, but I'd rather know that I helped them be better students than knowing that I helped them sing a song.

I just thought I would share some of these thoughts with my fellow Music majors and ed. psych. students.

2 comments:

bdepperson said...

I think you're right, Anna- a lot of students who come into college as music majors often go the education route, because they feel that's a much safer way to get a job than trying to be a performer or something else. However, many of these music ed undergraduates (like yourself and I) soon start to realize that education is just as important a focus as music- if not more!

hannahbb said...

I definitely agree that education comes first for me too. Doing French and Music, I'm really not even positive what I want to teach (Hopefully French or Music,) but I just am set on the education part.