Saturday, November 1, 2008

Midterm Exam


This past midterm exam created an example of how we should not test our students. We were given exactly what was going to be on the test, and we had to memorize it, then write it on the test. Being that I took that test a few weeks ago, I highly doubt that I could take that same test and do well. Why? Because the information wasn't in my long-term memory. I studied for hours, but that doesn't mean I learned the information. I could simply repeat it. Learning is: "the process through which experience causes a permanent change in knowledge or behavior." (I had that memorized for the test, but I had to look it up just now). So, did I learn anything? Probably not a whole lot. There wasn't a huge permanent change in knowledge and there definitely wasn't a permanent change in behavior. The funny thing is, is that I've taken so many tests like this. I memorize the information, and then just have to repeat it on the test. As a teacher, I want to try different ways of testing. I'm not sure what I want to do, but I want my students to have to think and show me that they understand the informationt that was taught, not jus be able to repeat the definition.

2 comments:

bdepperson said...

When I do start teaching, I want my students to truly learn.
I'd rather them completely grasp a few solid concepts, then have them attempt to regurgitate a marquee of meaningless definitions, only to forget everything days after the test.

hannahbb said...

I definitley agree! (You can read my blog post on this topic if you want more of my opinion on the midterm exam)